Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Rest now, your work on earth is done




Marine Corp Sgt.James R. Mcllvaine was laid to rest in Arlington National Cemetery with full honors today at 1:00 PM. If you've never witnessed the ceremony in the Cemetery, you've missed one of the most emotionally charged events that life provides the rest of us.
Not that the Sergeant wanted to be there. He has a wife and two children in Twentynine Palms, Ca. He was a proud and honorable husband, father, and son. He was only 26 years old.

I'm not familiar with the particular circumstances of his death in Iraq. But I do know that he gave the full measure for the people there, and that their lives are better because of Sgt. Mcllvaine and his service brothers and sisters who have gone into harms way without any personal gain.

Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends. John 15:13

Rest well SGT. Mcllvaine. You earned it.

The three Corps Values: Honor, Courage, Commitment. They make up the bedrock of the character of each individual Marine. They are the foundation of his Corps. These three values, handed down from generation to generation, have made U.S. Marines the Warrior Elite. The U.S. Marine Corps: the most respected and revered fighting force on earth.

"Oorah!"

As they say: "No better friend, no worse enemy,"


" I pray that our Heavenly Father may assuage the anguish of your bereavement, and leave you only the cherished memory of the loved and lost, and the solemn pride that must be yours, to have laid so costly a sacrifice upon the altar of Freedom."

A. Lincoln, 11/21 1864


Update: Sunday, May 17th, 2009 is the 5th anniversary of the death in Karbala, Iraq of 2LT Leonard M. Cowherd III of Culpeper. Please offer a prayer for his family.
Update: Wednesday, May 27th, 2009. Just learned that I know some of Sgt. Mcllvaine's family. I offer a special prayer for their comfort.

We need to pass on the link to a fine organization. Look around, Check it out. Remember those who came home with their lives, but left part of themselves on the battlefield for people they didn't even know.
WOUNDED WARRIOR

2 comments:

Jack Ryan said...

Dean - thank you for this tribute to my brothers step-son Sgt. James McIlvaine. He was a true hero in our eyes and I appreciate Mr. Wolf, Bob Lazurus and the many other dignataries who paid their respects. Thank you for your kind words and thoughts...

The Bulletproof Monk said...

Jack, it is with regret that I signed in today to find your message.
I honor all of the sacrifices that have been given, but it is with a special sorrow that I now recognize Sgt. McIlvaine as not only the great Marine that he was, but also that he was such a close relative of someone I actually know. I hope that your family has found the comfort and recovery from this loss that only God can provide.

If you did not know, we're now bound as part of a special extended family of those who've lost young servicemen. My nephew, EJ, preceded James in departure back in 2006. I, and the many families who have experienced this same loss are aware of your pain, because we've been there. Time will heal the immediate pain, but the loss will always burn on deeper reflection.
The Sgt. and all those who we lose in the effort to provide a better world for those that they did not even know, should all be called HERO.
My sincere sympathies and best wishes for your family in this time of loss. Thank you for making the connection of the closeness of this loss. It hurt more because I know you, but I'm grateful that you made the association, because I did not know when I posted the tribute to this great man.